1. Avabel Forums is looking for a moderator! Interested? Click Here to read more.

Monk

Discussion in 'Acolyte' started by IDCAA, Dec 24, 2013.

1. IDCAA

IDCAA (+[___]::)

Class:
    Wonderer
    Hello there,
    This thread is by no means a guide of any sort (or perhaps worthy of that title), but the 'Monk' and all it's concepts (Final Fantasy origins) is my favorite class, and so, I'd like to share what little I've gathered since becoming one in Avabel Online to anyone curious, or looking for info. Please feel free to share anything I am missing if you also own a monk.

Firstly, you'll need a lot of patience, or 18 gems for a restat once you've reached 50 (and have your crystals), and that's not counting the additional 12 you'll need to reset your skills, as monks can't use 95% of the acolyte skills (save passives). That means you'll be auto attacking your way to 50. So yeah—patience.

To become a monk, you require 35 Hard & Sharp Crystals. It's no suprise what skills the monks get, so I'll only elab on my experiences thus far with them.
    Wave Knuckles - This skill is a burst type damage skill that knocks enemies back a small distance. Fairly good damage I imagine when maxed. Lvl 6 branches:
    A - Fire power type, greater force.
    (I'm guessing that means more raw dmg)
    B - Increase your own critical chance for a duration.
    C - Decrease enemy DEF for a duration.

Metal Knuckle Blows - This is a very fun spell. Right off the bat it does a considerable amount of dmg; the last of the three being the hardest hitting. It only uses SP for the 1st hit, the follow-ups are free if you press it in sequence. Lvl 6 branches:
    A - Less SP usage.
    B
    - Faster casting (can move).
    C
    - Combo style: where more dmg as you hit. (This one, I'm not sure I notice a difference).

Flash Knuckle Bomb - This one is tricky; and seemed underwhelming until you reach lvl 6. It does an animation that looks like many punches, but does 2 hits.... 2? Really? But here's the tricky part. Lvl 6 branches:
    A - Additional input releases a powerful uppercut.
    (It really is. It's on par with the last hit of the 3 hit combo skill)
    B - Additional input releases a fore fist. (Now, I know that doesn't at all sound like something you want to be releasing in a game where children might be at play, but it's a dash forward punch attack, which is a bit delayed).
    C - Additional input releases wide range kicks. (Yes, kicks. Plural. So, I'm hoping it's a good looking multi-hit fast branch) [Thanks to forum member Vogue, it has now been confirmed this branch's kick is an AoE and only one, not many, with a slight knock back.]

And our passive: Which gives us a chance to heal as we attack. Now, that might sound amazing, but here's the shocker—it isn't. If you have no matk, there will be no healing done today. The monk has the biggest disadvantage of all other classes currently, both in class synergy, and relation with our previous class (you're a "fighter" with 100% matk skills). I have sent ASOBIMO an email expressing suggestions for the monk passive, here's hoping they will consider.
    I suggested they change the passive to give monks something like 50% of attack power as matk. That eliminates the need to have a pitiful random heal, and enables us to make use of some of our aco skills if needed (floor 10—you know the annoying buggers I'm thinking of), as well as create a more levelled field for monks in comparison to others' passives.

Feel free to share any missing info of your own monks, or ask any questions.

* PVP Experience *

Slow. Slow. Holy Gundam Wing you're slow. I joined a TDM earlier today and was up against Gladiators, S Raiders and I guess Snipers. I couldn't at all hit anyone with my spells(barely). All their skills are either AOEs, dash forward type spells or simply wide arc attacks. With the monk, I find I have to be right up in a target's face to be able to hit them—if they haven't dodged away, or dashed through you with an attack as they pass by.

Wave Knuckles has this animation at the start of it's cast that is honestly about .5 ~ 1 second long before casting the blow. It does seem to have a good long range, but goes forward and only hits 1 target(at random if many). (Updated to hit more than one target)

Metal Knuckle Blows, though I am not spec'd for the fast type, can't seem at all to hit anyone older than 2 weeks in the game. It has a very short attack hit box. And it's sequences pretty much locks you going in one direction—enough time for the afore mentioned classes to dish out some kind of attack.(This skill's casting animation was increased considerably in subsequent updates)

Flash Knuckle Bomb is about the only decent skill to employ if you want to stand a chance at getting a hit off. Though it too has this delay as the character stops in it's tracks to start the animation, it isn't as bad as the others. But, again, the hitbox is very small. A target almost has to be right inside/infront of you for it to connect.

Those are of course my findings. The possibility is there that I also simply suck at pvp due to inexperience. But that aside, I pride myself in being able to distinguish whether or not a class is at all capable to stand toe-to-toe with other implementations of a game. The monk may not at all be there yet.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  2. Aero

Aero Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Aero
    Level:
    i have been waiting for this lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  3. urimusha

urimusha New Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Heave
    Level:
    So... monk is based only on STR and doesn't heal that good right?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Wulfa

Wulfa Member

Class:
    Undecided
    In Game Name:
    Wulfa
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lost ones
    Yes monk is a str class and it's knuckles are str based, but you can have your knuckles on your right hand and a blunt weapon in your left to make up for the missing magic attack which will allow you to heal decently.;)

5. urimusha

urimusha New Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Heave
    Level:
    I always wondered the Rod normal attack is based on INT or STR?

6. Wulfa

Wulfa Member

Class:
    Undecided
    In Game Name:
    Wulfa
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lost ones
    Int

7. IDCAA

Class:
    Wonderer
    If you're a good enough dodger and can all around avoid damage, a solution would be to switch to a staff and heal yourself up when you need to, then switch back. The draw backs of this ofcourse, is that it's time consuming and tedious. Would be better if we could add weapons to shortcuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Vogue

Vogue I started out as a baby faced monster.

Mmm. Didn't know this thread existed, or else I would've replied earlier.

I decided to take a chance with Flash Knuckle Bomb C, thinking similarly to yourself, that it would be multiple kicks. It's not, though. Just one kick. However, it's an AoE and gives slight knockback.

I also already said in another thread that this class needs some help badly. I'm adapting the best possible, but my opinion remains the same so far. The monk really has nothing to offer or distinguish itself from other classes, and is just all-around a weak character. He is my main, however, so I'll be sure to keep you guys posted if I see any changes. My hopes right now are all riding on two things. One, that his last hidden skill is a complete game changer, being able to give him a solid push into the metagame. Or two, that he scales well as a higher level class, which is unlikely. 'Cause right now I'm only level 57, and things could possibly change.

And I have to give an amen to the patience statement. Getting to 50 with nothing but auto-attacks was absurd. If you can afford it, buy a restat/drill book beforehand, and just level him up like you would your priest/linker until 50.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. IDCAA

Class:
    Wonderer
    Good stuff! Thank you for the reply. I've met few(one guy) monks. Indeed this thing will need work; that however doesn't stop me from enjoying myself with the punches! It, for now, seems like a PvE character.

You spoke of a hidden skill? Is there something I am unaware of in Avabel? Do classes get another skill after the 4 initial ones?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Asectic

Asectic Journeying Minister

In Game Name:
    Wystal
    Level:
    Guild:
    Kiyore
    The hidden skill is for the third advanced classes only. I heard that if you either max the passive, or all 4 skills then it will show up. I think it's just passive really but people say otherwise so..

Here's someone with a pic if interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=423201181159292&set=o.423403824418805&type=3

• Like Like x 1
  11. IDCAA

Class:
    Wonderer
    • Old Old x 1
  12. IDCAA

Class:
    Wonderer
    So, random thought. And I'm probably not the only one thinking this, but, what if the monk's hidden skill is an Asura Strike/Guillotine Fist?

It's not at all gentleman-like, but it would probably be assured that I'd foam at the mouth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Xecko_Drasun

Xecko_Drasun Member

Class:
    Rogue
    In Game Name:
    Xecko
    Level:
    you sir, made my day by cheering me up with the hopes of having asura strike! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MrGlitch

MrGlitch Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Cid™/Cidicul
    Level:
    Anyone ever consider a crit monk? 75% is a max crit rate at 150 dex,although the extra 15% is not needed. Unsure about a base crit rate,but a dex/int(small) build sounds more like the monks style instead of roiding up a passive aggressive punching machine.

15. bomackin

bomackin Custom Title Here

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    bomackn
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    Where did you get the 75% crit rate info from?

16. MrGlitch

MrGlitch Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Cid™/Cidicul
    Level:
    Thru my own testing. 100 dex NOT HIT resulted in me criting 50%(achievable crit lock for periods of time with a dual wielding Gunslinger)

Edit: 2 Dex = 1%. Max is 160 after adding in guild+passive. Not many want that insane crit rate considering you need a sub build to help those critz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. bomackin

bomackin Custom Title Here

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    bomackn
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    hunmmmm... Thats a lot higher than I've heard from anybody else...

Might I ask how the crit damage was? It was unstable and ranging very widely no?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. MrGlitch

MrGlitch Member

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Cid™/Cidicul
    Level:
    On the mobs I was facing,I dealt 70-90ish damage. The crits usually stayed between 240-255ish but never reached 260. Like the rest of the games these guys made tho,to attain the crit rate means to invest a ton into it. I currently have a monk build set to after gaining some rings where I'll have 100+ magic attack & 50% crit. I plan on posting a type of guide once my evaluation on each class finalizes at 50+ (No where near end game,but stable damage mid game is a must to keep the DPS up)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  19. Reonen Zeruel

Reonen Zeruel The Revenger

In Game Name:
    Allocer and Hak
    Level:
    Guild:
    AbandoneD
    Or... What you guys can do is... Go Full INT and 30 DEX first while you're an Acolyte. Then, just get a restatus scroll after so, you've at least learned your Monk's Skills into lvl 7. And when you do get a restatus scroll, you could go:
    - Full STR
    - 10 VIT
    - 30 DEX (so, you don't have to use SP pots, since you still have your Acolyte's Passive Skill)

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Darkql

Darkql New Member

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    darkql
    Have u used a monk? Monk uses SP pots more often than any other char. There is no way not using SP pots.

• Informative Informative x 1