1. Avabel Forums is looking for a moderator! Interested? Click Here to read more.

magician is too slow

Discussion in 'Magician' started by MadokaMagica, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Zorxen

Zorxen Member

Class:
    Magician
    In Game Name:
    Zorxen
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tsukuyomi
    i know, again all about your fighting styles

2. Taibasa Tsuyou

Taibasa Tsuyou Otaku Member Staff Member Moderator

In Game Name:
    Taibasa Tsuyou
    Guild:
    AniOtaMa
    Wow!!! Have to agree with this. Just what I had.
    When I was using dual on my Mage and made a second Character, Acolyte, I thought I'd use 2 Handed instead of 2 rods. After a while I noticed I was by far, slower (especially in dodging attacks). So I end up with using dual for both Mage and Healer characters.
    Though I think that I'll go for 2 Handed Rod when I'm quite Mastered some Advanced Classes and don't need the normal attack. But for now, I still have some decent attacks from normal Attack, so I'll be one of the few dual wielding Mage/Healer for now. xD

• Like Like x 1
  3. Domocubed

Domocubed Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Domo
    Level:
    How does a Mage with a dagger work? Does it speed up the cast time by a lot? I read the thread and people are saying soul blader is good... But can't u do a soul blader with a Dagger and a one hand rod? Then u could use all the Mage skills... Lol

4. Zorxen

Zorxen Member

Class:
    Magician
    In Game Name:
    Zorxen
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tsukuyomi
    That's actually my plan for the future lol. I already have a powerful 1 handed rod with water element to power up blizzard and all other water spells, and I'm in the process of getting a dagger with at least 190 matk and fire element for ignite. Idk why no one else hasn't seem to realize u can do that. After all that's the same way creators balance their attack and Matk. But it is a very expensive path. Daggers with decent Matk don't come cheap

5. ~Rayleigh

~Rayleigh One for the money~ Staff Member Moderator

Class:
    Rogue
    Weapon types do not affect cast times or crit rate. They only affect cooldowns and skill availability (if in the right hand) and damage.

As far as i recall every mage skill can use dagger.

Having 1 element in the right hand and another element in the left hand wont do as much as you think. In some cases it makes it worse. Keep that in mind. If you are wondering as to why and the numbers as to why, you may have to give me a few to find that data. Its been a while sense someone openly disscussed doing that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Axel Giacobbe

Axel Giacobbe New Member

In Game Name:
    Axel
    Now we have rebirth. Can use 2h rod with Soul Blader skills which is OP. Can potentially even double stack Lost Speller's passive.

7. ~Rayleigh

Class:
    Rogue
    I rather stick to my traditional 1h weapons so i maximize my speed where i can. Though that idea of yours is now possible and i expect many others to do it because for as long as i can remember most mmorpg players will pick the highest damaging weapon but rarely look at anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sincityranger

Sincityranger New Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Wuvley
    In a previous game, I played a dual wielding warrior. The off hands attack was always slower than the main hand. So I decided to go a route that I really liked. I put the biggest baddest weapon I could afford in my main hand, which also had a very slow attack, then in my offhand I got the fastest most DPS based weapon. It turned out to be a very balanced build. I think the msinhand weapon was "wyrmslayer"... I can't remember my offhand

9. Ace144

Ace144 New Member

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    Ace
    Level:
    Guild:
    AzureSky
    This isn't true. (Also, I wish people wouldn't throw the word OP around... especially when they don't completely think it through.)

Anyway, Soulblader with 2h Rod isn't OP at all. If you are using a 2h rod, you have no reason to use Soulblader skills. Why? Because 2h rods have lower physical attacks than daggers (at high levels and rarity it surpasses 100 points).

You might be thinking, "But I can use Mind Change and raise my strength stat." There are two problems with that. First, you need to allocate enough points of INT to make it work (passives are unaffected). This means sacrificing any other build you might have had in mind if you want decent damage with it. (DEX builds won't work.) Second, Mind Change will make your physical attack stat the same as one with someone who already using daggers (assuming you have enough INT). Daggers already have more attack than magic attack. So you are effectively making your Soulblader damage normal for a brief period of time. So in the end, why use them?

Then there is a problem with cool down times. From what I've heard, Mind Change has pretty long cool down already. Using a 2h rod would make it longer. (Then two of the skills also have longer cool downs as well, so you can't take full advantage of Mind Change as effectively as a dagger can.) So you can't even rely on it as much as you want.
    I doubt it because of how Soulblader functions (well at least how people believe it functions). I didn't even know Mages could use daggers until I read the forums. Now, I'm using a mage with daggers and enjoying it. Seriously, the cool downs on the base skills are almost not there.

Also, I'm going to write my thoughts on Soulblader around next week. It's annoying that people turned a really simple class into something way too complex, and then called it weak when it doesn't produce what they think it was going to produce. I already have my data and support. I just want to have some experience with the class first.

10. ~Rayleigh

Class:
    Rogue
    Doubt what if i may ask? On a side note, I am glad we have a new speedy mage type. Iv often wondered what the archtype was called when a mage of any style uses a dagger as a catalyst instead of a wand or staff/rod.

11. Ace144

Ace144 New Member

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    Ace
    Level:
    Guild:
    AzureSky
    I was doubting that people would use Soulbader skills even after rebirth. The perspective I got about the general populous was that the skills were horrible and generally worthless. After taking some time to play as a Mage with daggers (and looking through things thoroughly), I found that this class was as straight forward as any other class... yet people made it more complex and intimidating than what it actually was.

As for the names, I had to Google it. Here are some I found that where awesome:
    Spellsword (I totally want this title.)
    Battle Mage
    Sword Mage
    Melee Magician

EDIT: I misread. I thought you meant names. There really isn't an archetype for dagger/sword using mages. They exist, but they are rare in media. (It is most likely because they are overpowered in concept. The ability to fight with magic and swords? That's really strong in any fantasy world. Its versatility trumps the pure strength of just strong mages and warriors.) The closest representation is magical weapons.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ~Rayleigh

Class:
    Rogue
    Well most spellswords (i should of known these terms i just thought they had a specific archtype name like a rouge mage is a nightweaver) dont have really hard hitting spells or amazing CQC skills so they are balanced between the two. It does help greatly though to have some support magic at your own command when you deem you need it.

i figured they would because it allows for some CQC skills which it is important for mages who are often rushed or cant get the time off to throw out longer cast time skills.

13. Ace144

Ace144 New Member

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    Ace
    Level:
    Guild:
    AzureSky
    But it still more dangerous than just having powerful spells or awesome physical prowess. (I know you watch Konosuba. Kazuma would be a good example on why the combination is so dangerous.)
    Eh...
    From what I gathered, Mage already has CQC skills. Wind Dagger and Thunderbolt are both accessible from the base class. (Wind Dagger is my bread and butter. Why is this skill so good?) Then, Willow Cycle (from Elementalist) is a great skill to keep those CQC from getting too close. Since those are all magic based, they would do more damage.

Plus, as I mentioned in the earlier reply, using Soulblader skills with anything except daggers will result in lower damage. People aren't already happy with the damage with daggers. I can't imagine them being any more content with attacking with a lower attack stat. (Then tack on the fact that most people still mostly use physical defense armor.)

• Agree Agree x 1