1. Avabel Forums is looking for a moderator! Interested? Click Here to read more.

Avabels core game design itself is anti social

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by guy, Oct 4, 2014.

1. guy

guy The Man With The Most Creative Username

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    Reboot
    Level:
    (*Disclaimer I would just like to make it clear that I really do like Avabel but just because I like something doesn't mean I should ignore major issues just because it was made by people who have made good games in the past *cough Destiny)
    So I've been playing the Toram Online alpha alot recently and after coming back to playing Avabel it made me aware of the faults with Avabel. First and what I think will eventually kill the game is the world itself(might be a slight exaggeration but I'm writing this and your not so I win *celebrates my first win on the internet*)l Now that sounds like it would be a super obvious flaw that would be hard to miss but its because its gone that we don't notice but often complain about the ripple effect that it caused(boring quests, a main city lacking a personality,etc.) Avabel is a game that was stream lined so that I could appeal to the more main stream audience which is great I mean having more people is always great but the way the game is designed its still complex enough to appeal to a more hardcore audience which is also great but the problem occurs when both of these goals work against each other/aren't polished well because there stretched to thin. Now Avabel has no story which can work for a MMO but not having a story and not having a world are to different things. When your game lacks any world building its hard to keep people ingaged in your game if they feel that there not really part of any kind of world. Also all the stream lining is kinda pointless because the people who the stream lining of a MMO appeals to most of the time don't have experience with MMOs and sense Avabel just throws you into the world with very little help these people easily get frustrated. And granted this doesn't apply to everyone who doesn't play RPGs it does to the vast majority. Also the structure of the main tower also isn't very player friendly because the whole idea behind it is that you will always be around players around your level which is makes it so all these new players are stuck in one area without any help from more experienced players who are on there higher floors. Now I actually have a lot more to say about this but I think I used up enough of your time( I use the term "used" loosely) if you think I'm wrong(and I hope I am) then make a comment or Kik or something and I would like to state this again I really like Avabel but the very core of the game is anti Social.

2. ~Rayleigh

~Rayleigh One for the money~ Staff Member Moderator

Class:
    Rogue

Now for the most part i agree that avabel can be antisocial (but i am noticing a bit more mmos are following suit). But i dont agree with the part where you say the floors keep player seperate. I often see lv 35-45 on floor 10 beforethey say it is to hard and go back to some lower floor to train along with rushing. I also see some players including my self who hang around low lv areas to advertis for guilds, help new player (kinda rarefor others but i see it) and a few other reasons that arent as nice lol and more reasons inbetween.

To me I see this game more of a kind of "army of two (2-4 players teaming up and often doing everything together).

I hope my input was slightly insightful.

Edit: btw You come up with some pretty intersting topics that breaks from the normal around here, I like that lol

3. guy

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    Reboot
    Level:
    Well first off I'm glad you like my topics I hate when people use " its a mobile game" as a excuse for the game being bad because games like Order and Chaos and Celtic Heroes are on the level of computer MMOs and are F2P(plus I can be as sarcastic as I want when I'm insulting it). Second and this the most important part I really feel Avabel could be a social game but between guilds being lacking(I already made a thread so I won't rant this time) and the most shallow world in any MMO something I forgot to mention was that if I were to blame any one aspect on the game it would be the game play itself. The greatest asset is the greatest weakness. The way battles are handled is much more solo player based which isn't noticeable until you need actual strategy. (In raids and stuff) And its can be done right (ex.Monster Hunter, and to a extent Dark Souls) and that's why I really like Toram because it has a lot strategy involved and you need reliable friends but to be good(soloing or during boss battles) you need to use your skills with precision and with skill(pun intended). Anyway I will agree that I was slighty off on the floor thing what I was trying to build up too was that there's two Channels to many.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~Rayleigh

~Rayleigh One for the money~ Staff Member Moderator

Class:
    Rogue
    I wish thier was a rating for constructism. Lol Sadly the only deep stratgy in this game that I really can see is not the damage but rolling on que and attacking directly after they attack (counter striking) and playing your defenses right. Because the weapons by them selfs provide such adequate damage when 5* and above and how the def rating fourmal works. I see the str/int (Int is slightly more useful for the lack of mdef on most targets as well as the healing boost on average heal spells that arent men based) as a fairly useless stat and more for show then anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. guy

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    Reboot
    Level:
    I feel that Avabels problem is its essentially Monster hunter with the stats and assorted stuff from something along the lines of Wow and they were just mashed together without accounting for the fact that monster hunter is 2-4 man combat where as Wow Guilds can have up to 100 people in them.

6. Elucio

Elucio V-*.*-V

Class:
    Warrior
    Guilds need actives.
    WoW players are addicted,100/100people are online.
    In avabel,a guild of 50 has only 10-20 actices

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. guy

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    Reboot
    Level:
    I know this isn't the main problem but there's two major factors for why guilds in Avabel will never compare to the likes of Wow or Guild Wars 2 and that's 1) There's very little that requires guilds to do together(there's nothing unless your all close to level cap nothing not even a couple easy raids for the guilds) thus there's no connections. And 2nd and this is a big one its the fact that its such a ***** to recruit people because there's no easy way to join because most active people are out on the floors doing quests but when your out on the floors there's no way to invite them so instead you just hope they remember your guild name plus even in town your limited to new players and people hanging out with there guilds.
    *Rants on for Several more hours*

8. Abdulaziz (Azzuz)

Abdulaziz (Azzuz) New Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Soul
    Level:
    Guild:
    ARKANGELZ
    actually some might thing that when they r high level they can solo and all, but tbh u need pt on advanced things like advent dungeon for example is impossible with not organized party (ofc impossible solo as wee).

9. Xiansai

Xiansai Former Event Informer

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Xiansai
    Level:
    As much as I hate to say it, yes there is pretty much no story to Avabel whatsoever! From my experience, I have had basically a crap ton of farming and grinding for myself and pretty much a bunch of guilds that end up being inactive. (For: Various Reasons) That it ends up being pretty much how you explained it: antisocial. HOWEVER, the lack of a story has created a spark for some people (at least the very rare and probably way too much time on their hands) to make up stories on their own and pretty much try to make the game entertaining in some aspect. I stopped playing Avabel a long time ago due to college becoming the main thing that dominates my life, but I have written stories of characters, Avabel's Origins, and other miscellaneous stuff not revolving around Avabel, but relates in some aspect. @~Rayleigh can vouch me for this

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ace144

Ace144 New Member

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    Ace
    Level:
    Guild:
    AzureSky
    I don't think that was implemented when the OP wrote that.

In my opinion, he is completely right. Advents are really the only require serious cooperation (but then again, I haven't seen anyone attempt to solo it with the best of the best equipment). In most raids, people don't even see each other. The floors can be solo'd with good gear. There isn't much of a reason to party up at a certain point.

While it doesn't have a story directly, I feel its events are getting better with its story telling. I loved how the last event had dialogue appear as you were fighting. It was so cool.

11. Xiansai

Xiansai Former Event Informer

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Xiansai
    Level:
    While it doesn't have a story directly, I feel its events are getting better with its story telling. I loved how the last event had dialogue appear as you were fighting. It was so cool.[/QUOTE]
    Wait WHAT?!? What have I been missing?!? x.x

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Taibasa Tsuyou

Taibasa Tsuyou Otaku Member Staff Member Moderator

In Game Name:
    Taibasa Tsuyou
    Guild:
    AniOtaMa
    Dialogues during battles? :O I've been missing that as well. I haven't touched the Events yet since my comeback xD
    I did enter the Current Christmas Event Room though.. But not actively the Event Quests.. :O

Something by the way.... a 2014 Thread got resurrected! :O

Back to the Anti-social... I think there's a big gap between the social side and the anti-social side. There are Guilds who are allied and have active members in their Guild Alliance community. At the other side there are dead Guilds with lots of inactives which mostly lead people to try to solo. xD
    Avabel does has a (Mini-)Story at the new start (Practice Area) now.... buuuuuut.... that's only at the start. :O Instead of the Story quests most MMOs have, Avabel has the Quest unlocking Quests instead as well as the said Event Quests. :3

That said, I think that even with Story Quests.... Avabel could still end up being the way it is now without stories, since Stories can be running out (when you've completed all stories). This would result into the current state of Avabel all over again. :-\