1. Avabel Forums is looking for a moderator! Interested? Click Here to read more.

Aleph's Guide to Equipment, Part 1: Basics

Discussion in 'Avabel Game Guides' started by aleph, Feb 18, 2014.

1. aleph

aleph Active Member

tl;dr: a long and excessively detailed attempt at clarifying the different attributes of equipment and how and where to change those attributes. Pillow recommended.

There is a lot of confusion with equipment due to the fact that some terms are used in-game to describe more than one aspect of the game. "Orb" and "Blacksmith" come to mind. Even worse, sometimes one word is used to describe different properties of one aspect of the game. "Level" in relation to equipment is one of these. The terms I'm using should help alleviate some of the confusion, but do note that I'm open to suggestions for better wording and will edit if someone makes a good suggestion.

This guide began as a reply I started to draft on a different thread but it got out of hand. Consider this a supplement (with some repetition) of other information on these forums. Other notes:
    • I recommend that you read some of the stickied beginner guides and play the game for a bit to get a better understanding of some of the things I'm talking about.
    • The game itself is undergoing constant change, which means that inasmuch as the info below is accurate, it is only accurate as of the date it was posted. To that end, check the post and edit dates.
    • Some of the stuff below is information I've gathered from reading these and other forums/wikis. I'll note the cases where I'm writing about something I haven't done personally, but it would take an entire army of Wikipedia editors to figure out the attribution of the info I've stolen/synthesized from others. Suffice to say that I do appreciate everyone who has posted information that has fed this guide.
    • this is a multi-part guide. I was originally going to include information on strengthening and evolving equipment here, but this was already too long a quarter of the way in! And then when I went to post what I had completed, I was hit with the 10,000-character limit for posts. Stay tuned!
    Equip Level: this is the level required to equip a piece of gear (also known as level cap).
    • In the item details (inventory, stall, shop, trade, mail, etc.) this is the number after "For Level".
    • If this is red, then your character is not high enough level to equip it.
    • If there's no number here, then any level can equip the item.
    • You can remove the level cap via an in-app purchase called eRift Stone, but I've never bought or used one so someone else will have to elaborate on how they work.
    Gear Rank: this is the number of stars you see in the item details. There are two tiers of stars. Yellow/gold stars denote gear ranks 1-5 with one star being lowest rank. Blue stars denote gear ranks above 5: 1 blue star is rank 6, and 2 blue stars indicates gear rank 7. You can increase the gear rank one star at a time by Evolving at the Blacksmith NPC. The maximum gear rank as of this writing is 7.

Gear Level: equipment can be levelled up at the Blacksmith NPC in a process called "Strengthening". For each gear rank, you can strengthen your piece of equipment by up to 10 levels of Gear Level. All equipment starts with a Gear Level of 1. Here's a useful chart from @SnowySakura aka M'Leaux:
    Here's an overview of Strengthening, which should tide most people over until I finish and post the guide I'm working on: http://avabelforums.com/posts/6085.

Standard Gear: this is the stuff that usually drops from mobs, where the Equip Level is a multiple of 10.

Advanced Gear: this gear is rarer as drops, or can be made at the Synthesis NPC and sometimes by the Blacksmith Class. The equip level is n+5. For example, the advanced version of a Equip Level 50 dagger is an Equip level 55 dagger with slightly better stats. Note that with both methods of making Advanced Gear (Synthesis or Blacksmith Class) you are only able to use 1-star items with a Gear Level of 1 as the source. Unfortunately you cannot change your maxed 5-star level 70 armor into a level 75 item.

Edited 13 Mar 2014 to note that max gear rank is 7.
    Edited 21 Mar 2014 to add a link to a post I wrote a while ago on strengthening.
    Edited 29 Jul 2014 to update the link on strengthening, which was moved by a mod :(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. aleph

aleph Active Member

Gear Orb: these are item drops from mobs and bosses in the main tower. They are pretty rare.
    • They can increase and/or decrease stat points (usually they only decrease one stat when they increase another) and other character attributes such as HP/SP or ATK/MATK.
    • They work by attaching to gear.
    • The details will tell you what attributes they affect, and which type of gear they attach to (headgear, upper or lower armor, or weapon).
    • You'll find them in your inventory under "Consumable/Utile".
    • You can "use" these almost anywhere, the same way you would use a non-shortcutted potion, return wing, chic box, or other item of a usable nature.
    • In order to use one, you must have an open orb slot on the correct type of equipment.
    • If you do have an open slot on one or more piece of gear in your bag, you'll be given a menu that allows you which piece of gear to attach the orb to.
    • The attachment is permanent unless you have Orb Remover, an in-app purchase that I don't have any experience with.
    • To search for these in the stall, use the term "ORB" in all caps, or by the name of the mob that drops it.
    Orb Slot: these are the locks or other icons that appear in the item details after the slash next to the stars indicating Gear Level.
    • Most gear has two locks.
    • In rare cases instead of a lock there will be an icon that looks like a square with an empty circle inside.
    • This is an open orb slot.
    • Gear which has an orb attached to it will have a yellow circle instead of a lock.
    • I have never seen any gear with more than two slots, locked or otherwise
    • I also haven't seen any gear with two open or used slots. There is an item called "Slot Release" in the in-app purchase store which I suspect unlocks a slot.
    • There is an in-app purchase called "Orb Remover". I haven't used it. Whether such an item gives you the Gear Orb back so that you can apply it to a different piece of equipment is open to speculation. That is, I have no idea.
    Stat Orb: these are described in game as Orbs, which creates confusion with the Gear Orbs.
    • At level 60 two things happen in relation to Stat Orbs. First, you get a new equipment slot (Menu > Item > Equipment) at the bottom of the list, right below the ring slots. And second, you gain the ability to synthesize Stat Orbs at the Synthesis NPC from stat fragments (drops acquired upon completion of the Item Dungeon).
    • In order to synthesize, you need the source materials: a designated number of fragments for the stat you want, a number of sharp or hard crystals, as well as some gold. I haven't actually bothered doing the synthesis.
    • If you have any stat fragments, the recipe for the corresponding Stat Orb appears in the "SP Item" menu at the Synthesis NPC but only if you meet the level requirement (60).
    • Once you have a Stat Orb, you can equip it in the new slot. Note that the stat boost only lasts for a limited time (3 hours I think) and is said not to persist between logins. The Stat Orb is consumed upon use (think of it as a time-limited one-time stat boost). I haven't tried equipping any of these.
    • Whether or not you choose to use them (as noted above, I don't) you might find them valuable for your playing style.
    • To search for these in the stall, use the term "Orb" with a capital O and lower case rb, or search the name of the stat in all caps (STR, INT, HP, etc.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. aleph

aleph Active Member

Elements: others have posted extensively about elements so I'll try to be brief here.
    • The available elements are Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark.
    • You can add one element to each weapon and armor (head, upper, lower). They don't have to be the same element on all, so you can have a Fire weapon, Wind headgear, Water upper and Earth lower. Or you could opt for all Dark, or whichever combination strikes your fancy.
    • Some elements are stronger against one or more other element.
    • You will need the gear you want "elementalized", an Element Bowl (crafted at the Synthesis NPC), and some gold.
    • To make the Element Bowl at the Synthesis NPC you need to have the required number of fragments of the element you want to use, as well as 15 "None" fragments. First you craft a "None Bowl" from the None fragments, and then you craft the Element Bowl from the None Bowl and the 20 element fragments (all the same type, there's no mix and match). For example, if you want a Fire Bowl, you'll need 20 Fire Fragments and 15 None Fragments.
    • Element fragments are a reward from the Element Dungeon.
    • Once you have your Element Bowl, you have to go to the Blacksmith NPC and choose Add Element. At that point it should be obvious what you need to do. As far as I know, there is zero chance of failure for this process.
    • If you have a piece of elemental gear and you don't want it to be elemental any more, simply go to the Blacksmith NPC and "Add Element" with a None Bowl. This is will return your item to its non-elemental state. Choosing "Add Element" to an item that already has an element replaces the existing element with the new one.
    Blacksmith NPC: this is the NPC where you can Strengthen, Evolve, or Add an Element to Gear.

Blacksmith Class/Blacksmith Player: this is one of the advanced classes that branches off from Creator.
    • Creators can change to this class at level 50.
    • Blacksmith Players are able to craft Advanced Gear from Standard Gear.
    • This works similar to the Synthesis NPC: you need the source item and materials.
    • The main difference here is that the Synthesis NPC has a 100% chance of making a 1-star item, and the Blacksmith Class has an 80% chance of success (60% of 1-star, 5% chance each of 2- or 3-star).
    • I don't know if open orb slots are carried over to the successfully-crafted item.

Synthesis NPC:
    this is the NPC where you pay to craft useful items. In most cases you will need to have the main source material in your inventory in order for the option to synthesize it to appear in the menu. Here are some of the things you can do here:
    • make consumables such as red & blue pills, return wings
    • change your hard or sharp crystal pieces into whole crystals
    • make accessories such as HP and SP rings
    • make Advanced Gear from Standard Gear
    • make Stat Orbs
    • make Element Bowls
    • Customize your weapon

Parting Shots

If you're having trouble with any of the actions listed above that require some sort of source materials, make sure that:
    • All of the required items are in the same place (in your bag or in storage). Maybe you're trying to make a fire bowl and you have 5 fire fragments in your bag and 15 in storage. This could work, but it might not. Best to consolidate them in one place. When in doubt, put them in your bag.
    • All of the required items are unlocked. Sometimes I lock an item so that I don't vendor it or use it in strengthening other items. If I forget to unlock it before going to the Synthesis or Blacksmith NPC, frustration ensues.
    • You meet any requirements for the action you want to take (character level, class, sufficient and appropriate materials)
    • You have enough gold
    Thanks for reading. I hope this was useful, even if all it did was cure your insomnia.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. aleph

aleph Active Member

This is the section where I'm going to put the stuff that I forgot to put into the first three posts. I'll add to it as necessary. I'm not going to go into detail about evolving in this thread. That's slated for a future thread. And I'm also not going to cover how/where to get the various components for such things as evolving, adding elements, stat orbs, etc.

Customizing Your Weapon
    • You can Customize your weapon at the Synthesis NPC
    • In fact, you can Customize any weapon in your inventory (bag or storage)
    • It costs gold and 5 Custom Tools, which you can get from some of the Item Dungeons, from some boxes, or buy them in the stall
    • There are three options for Customizing "Ba, Di, Fl"; they are as follows:
      • BA: increase minimum and maximum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies by the weapon. Note that the increases here are about half of the Di or Fl increase.
      • DI: increase maximum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies on the weapon.
      • FL: increase minimum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies on the weapon
    • If you don't like the existing customization, you can re-customize by paying gold and another 5 Custom Tools. The new choice replaces the old.
    The discussion of avatars is a huge topic so I'm going to limit this section to some notes about their combat effectiveness
    • They have no effect on your stats, speed, equipment stats, etc.
    • They often look awesome.
    • The only combat value I can see for these is for PvP: you might have such an [awesome | shiny | rare | disgusting | etc] avatar that it distracts your opponent(s) long enough for you to get the kill.
    Edited March 7, 2014 to remove the strikethrough text that loses its formatting when someone quotes the post.
    Edited January 31, 2017 to slightly reformat and add a bit to the "Customizing Your Weapon" section.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ChrisEpicEdm

ChrisEpicEdm Moogle

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Epicedm
    Level:
    Guild:
    ♥«Kupo»♥
    Very Informative post, I've been trying to find information about blacksmith and synthesis and this is exactly everything i've been wondering about and more. Great work, Thank you.

6. Dimples

Dimples Dimply dim dim~ ‚ô™

Class:
    Acolyte
    In Game Name:
    Leanne
    Level:
    Guild:
    Saint
    This is a sticky material. I love the bullets, and how you explained the stuffs without using any Avabel jargon. —This should be readable by most of the new players~

Bravo. I was searching something like this when I was a newbie. *.*

7. Grawrz

Grawrz Active Member

Class:
    Ranger
    Level:
    Guild:
    SOLARS Inc
    Add an anotated picture for more clarity :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. aleph

aleph Active Member

I thought about it but couldn't be bothered as it's been years since I had photoshop or any other decent imaging software on my computer. Anyone else is welcome to do it though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grawrz

Grawrz Active Member

Class:
    Ranger
    Level:
    Guild:
    SOLARS Inc
    I'm using a Note 8.0 so I could make some, but you'd have to put up with my handwriting :p

10. Joseph

Joseph Line ID: get_murked Gold Member

Class:
    Warrior
    In Game Name:
    Murked
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    Nice job only thing I could think to add is like links to some of the other threads forfurther discussion but you did a great job consolidating the useful bits of each topic

• Like Like x 1
  11. marcocococo

marcocococo IGN: WiN / Pansit

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Pansit / WiN
    Level:
    Guild:
    DeadlySin
    Thumbs up for this

12. Lucksly

Lucksly Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Lucksly
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    What does customizing weapon gain me? Does it make the weapon stronger?

13. Rabid Pixel

Rabid Pixel Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Mizzile
    Level:
    Guild:
    B O S S
    yep its all in post 4.

Customizing Your Weapon
    • You can Customize your weapon at the Synthesis NPC
    • In fact, you can Customize any weapon in your inventory (bag or storage)
    • It costs gold and 5 Custom Tools, which you can get from some of the Item Dungeons
    • There are three options for Customizing "Ba, Di, Fl"; going from memory they are as follows:
      • BA: increase minimum and maximum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies by the weapon by 3 points each. Note that the increases here are about half of the Di or Fl increase.
      • DI: increase maximum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies on the weapon by 6 points each
      • FL: increase minimum ATK & MATK by an amount that varies on the weapon by 6 points each
    • If you don't like the existing customization, you can re-customize by paying gold and another 5 Custom Tools. The new choice replaces the old.

14. Lucksly

Lucksly Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Lucksly
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    Thanks guess I didn't understand that the first time I read it. I want to upgrade my bow but no custom tools. I bought an item from item shop but wasn't right tool. I can only get those custom tools from dungeons?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rabid Pixel

Rabid Pixel Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Mizzile
    Level:
    Guild:
    B O S S
    yea you need 5x Custom Tool, you can get them from the low level 0-10 dungeon that uses 10DP, forgotten the name of it.
    can also buy them from the stall think they are around 5k each.

16. aleph

aleph Active Member

Custom Tools are a random drop from the "Ablution of Evolution" dungeons. (They might also drop from other dungeons, and they are sometimes a reward in Gold and Platinum Boxes) They don't drop every time. To increase your chance of a drop, do the dungeon in offline mode.

Also, I went back and edited the Customization section of the post since my previous edit introduced strikethrough text for info that had been updated. The strikethrough keep its formatting when quoted, which made the quote confusing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  17. Pawnzl

Pawnzl New Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    Pawnzl
    Level:
    One question: is it possible to overwrite one Gear Orb with another? Or is it necassary to use the Remover if i want to replace the actual Orb by another?

18. aleph

aleph Active Member

You cannot overwrite one gear orb with another. I've never used orb remover, but I would guess that it or using the slot release in app purchase are the only ways.

19. mikey bee

mikey bee Guest

Might be a silly question but if im a lvl 90 can i equip a lvl 100 weapon? I see some for sale but dont see any lvl 100 players so..... Idk. Thanks for taking the time to respond:)

20. Tourne

Tourne Lost Bard

Class:
    Creator
    In Game Name:
    Tourne
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fabric
    mikey, that is what the Rift (xx) shop items are for...the lvl 100 version is a heavy sum in Market.