1. Avabel Forums is looking for a moderator! Interested? Click Here to read more.

A bumpy road - Rogue Diaries

Discussion in 'Rogue' started by FarmPig, May 9, 2014.

1. FarmPig

FarmPig New Member

In Game Name:
    FarmPig
    In every mmorpg until now, I've played a stealth class. Be it Assassin, Rogue or Thief, I always wanted to enjoy using and abusing those poisons, stealth and incredible mobility. Avabel is no different...
    Or so I thought. In the first few floors I felt like a dancer, abusing the long intervals between mob attacks to dance and roll around them while dishing out bursts of damage in between and it was amazing. Whenever another player was near me, I would race them to see who destroys their target first and I was always the faster one. It was heaven, and everything I wanted from rogues was there:
    - high mobility through skills with movements (Hawk, dodge dagger, Kill drive)
    - high burst through Rumble vain
    - poisons and stealth
    Until I decided to fight Jabbawhock ( or whatever his name is, a Floor 3 boss)! That's when nightmares started, I was getting 1 shotted by its tail cleaves, 2 shotted by its range attacks, he was always casting an attack and I had a ridiculously hard time just surviving, let alone doing any damage (not gonna mention the amount of deaths) so I gave up on it for now, assuming that I was too low lvl and had too weak gear.

And there I was, doing floor quests 1 by 1, but each floor became more and more difficult with mobs slowly but surely drinking RedBull or something and being hyper on casting their attacks which were usually cleaves or AoEs (with my connection, I have a 2 second delay, meaning that if I do not predict the attack beforehand, I will get hit no matter what my screen shows.) so I had to chunk potion after potion just to survive, fighting more than 1 mob meant death for me and since I've got a habit of countering opponents attack I constantly got damaged by 360 degree cleaves...But that wasn't enough. I went into an offline Sharp dungeon and thought that my time to shine was now- seeing there is no lag involved - meaning that I could dodge everything. Needless to say I was gravely mistaken. Mobs are easy in that dungeon, don't get me wrong, but the boss, the goddamn Tree, the king of AoEs and cleaves... Oh boy... Not even for a second did he stop attacking and spamming his skills and on my first attempt I had to chug about 40 hp pots just to survive before it died. After a run or 2, I gave up on it cause my wallet doesnt allow me to spend 30+ HP m pots per run and I went back to doing floor quests.
    At that time I was already lvl 50-51, and had the Storm Rider advanced class activated which I assumed will make the game easier but it didnt... Gear blade is a great AoE, but its melee and deals less damage than rumble vain yet it costs 20 sp, Dagger Lance as well, and the Bull trap... useless and slow.
    Rage in me couldn't be stopped and I was already questioning my choice of Class. Rogue, so squishy and weak, no stuns, and it takes time to rack up dmg cause rumble vain takes oh so long to do all attacks...Kill drive, Dodge dagger are weak dmg wise and rumble vain clearly dominates the RO skill list with its power and low sp cost.
    Why didn't I pick a ranger who has it so easy that you fall asleep while killing stuff? Beats me,but I came to the forums and asked a few people to talk me out of rerolling after so long. As they kept on giving me standard, scrub friendly advices I couldn't help but notice that I missed something crucial and then it struck me.

My throw dagger skill is at lvl 3, it costs 6 sp and is a spammable range basic attack that also proccs Duplex (which I somehow ignored). at that level I was already dealing similar damage to my basic attack, so I raised the level 6 and guess what, it hits more than basic attack now! ( Hi, my class is ranger, eeer I mean rogue!)
    But that wasn't enough, I knew I was missing something else, something even more crucial... And that was ,none other than Stealth!
    I finally realized, thanks to playing 10+ mmos and getting used to the way skills function (not to mention how most of the stealth classes in traditional rpgs are melee only) , I didn't even notice that Stealth doesnt reset mobs, it doesn't make them immune to damage as they move back to the spot where they spawned and they certainly don't regenerate their hp.
    So I went back into the Sharp dungeon, determined to make full use of my abilities and as I approached the Mean Tree I felt joy, after a few minutes The Tree died and I spent about 2 HP pots. My Hope and Faith were restored, more than that I felt happy as I realized that after 10 years of mmos, a mere mobile game allows me to be a true rogue. Now, as I'm thinking about it, I got no idea how did I miss something so crucial, simple and basic...

Bosses take a few seconds to realize they've been attacked from Stealth( I realized that in that fight), what I did was use hiding, charge in with rumble vain -> use bull trap immedietly and then dodge dagger out, followed by a few throw daggers if I felt like it and went back into stealth and repeat the process as I saw fit, Mean Tree managed to do about 2-3 attacks before it died (against the old 300000 attacks spam where I didnt use hide) only because I was too impatient and tried dealing more damage than im supposed to, but I was happy that I chose a Rogue, it made me realize that our ranged damage is nothing to toy with.

Now, I'm lvl 55, at Floor 11 and mobs there are too strong because my weapons and armor are shiet, but none the less, since that Tree fell, I'm maxing my rumble vain, using Throw dagger instead of basic attack and my HP pot consumption went from 50 to 5 (due those pesky wolves and alike mobs that attack you in packs) while MP consumption went from 20 to 5 due rumble vain and throw dagger low sp costs, all of that because at a certain range most mobs stop attacking and using skills, and at that moment you can go in with rumble vain, jump out with dodge dagger and abuse throw dagger again until they stop attacking.
    I'm content with being a rogue right now, at times I do miss real AoEs (and the fact I didnt pick higher range Gear Blade/Dodge Dagger branches) but once I Master gear blade, max dodge dagger and get the assassin skills, I'll have plenty of those too. But yeah, this is probably the first game where I want to solo bosses as a rogue as it makes everything easier (still didnt go beat that Jabbadude tho, I should prolly do that today) and hide isnt just a way to move between mobs. Oh well, my rambling got out of hand for a few minutes there, so I'ma stop...

For now...

:D

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Innosan

Innosan OutCast

Class:
    Undecided
    In Game Name:
    Ragtag~
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    I learned something new today. Now I need to lvl up throw dagger. Cause my main skills are dodge dagger, ruble vain, kill drive and the normal attacks.

3. hectic1

hectic1 New Member

Class:
    Ranger
    In Game Name:
    trixks
    Level:
    the level 20-30 dungeon should be easy for you even with crap weapons and armor, just spam whatever dungeon of evolution u can when theres no special dungeon, one that you don't have to use many potions with, then get better gear, once u got your armor and daggers to 4 star, everything should be easy from then on
    oh and try to make ur own 4 star weapon from a 3 star, should be okay(when u get the 3 star customize it for Di and put an element on it, i'd suggest wind on that level cause of some harder floors that have water moobs and element dungeons that have a water boss, if i remember correctly), after this it should be easier for you to get income and 5-6 star items, only a matter of time.

4. FarmPig

FarmPig New Member

In Game Name:
    FarmPig
    I should prolly add that this is not a cry for help

Rather say its an insight on a journey of a person that didnt want to abandon a class cause it got a wee bit hard... but instead found a way to overcome the tough times and find ways to battle the weaknesses of the class.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haccy_1andOnly

Haccy_1andOnly Active Member

Class:
    Rogue
    In Game Name:
    Haccy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    That WAS a lot of reading.
    I just leveled at 68, STR 100, DEX 32. I understand about the twirling , and dancing, and the delays.
    You have to know your enemy.
    My Gear Blade, Rumble Vain and Dagger Lance are near maxed. Those are my three life savers.
    I killed that FL 21 boss by staying under his belly and hiding after every combo. However, much like you, floors above 11-12 are difficult. My defense is very low, and I can never predict what the attacks will be and when. I just go for the gusto.
    Ironically, I am able to hold my own on 19, with the exception of those wretched Slime things. I wish they'd just go away.
    I wish I could grind higher, unfortunately F9 is still my safe zone.
    <3

6. FarmPig

FarmPig New Member

In Game Name:
    FarmPig
    Yeah and you rocked it solo! So proud of you!

7. Innosan

Innosan OutCast

Class:
    Undecided
    In Game Name:
    Ragtag~
    Level:
    Guild:
    Murkin
    I got 200K jexp so I got jexp to lvl my throw dagger up and I'll be ready for flr 12. My skills are all lvl 7 right now like rumble, dodge dagger, kill is maxed to five and throw dagger is lvl 3

8. nacron99

nacron99 New Member

Class:
    Rogue
    In Game Name:
    nacron
    Level:
    Guild:
    BlackFlag
    Thank you for that story! It reflects my own in so many ways. The shadowy path we rogues walk truly is, at the same time, unique and similar. Soloing as a rogue is indeed exhilarating. I just soloed the level 80 random dungeon with three bosses. My current level is 64. I ran out of pots when the final boss was down to one third health. Through caution and maneuverability I barely managed to take him down. That's why I love this class. You just never know what we can do.

9. crdvx

crdvx New Member

Class:
    Rogue
    In Game Name:
    crdvx
    Level:
    Guild:
    SIGMA
    Whoa, reading that helped me out a lot. I focused on my close range and fast skills that I almost forgot about how useful the long range ones are. I use throw dagger as my "default" attack as well since the damage it deals is a lot higher (and it's a whole lot safer) than that of the regular one. I'm not running on as much HP potions now as I did before.

Also, kudos to you!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steve B

Steve B LINE ID: agent_barnes

Class:
    Magician
    In Game Name:
    Zerost
    Level:
    Guild:
    Calamity
    I completely understand! I did a complete restart recently and my main was a Mage. I will say that once you unlock some adv classes it does get easier. My moment of clarity was unlocking Raven and I haven't looked back sense!